Monday 10 September 2012

Tombstone

I first saw this when I was 16 and loved it, nothing changed.

The film deals with the before, during and after effects of the gun fight at the OK Corral, I will be honest I don't know how much of this film is truth and how much is poetic license but that me is academic because the film is well acted.

Kurt Russell plays Wyatt Earp with his brother Virgil and Morgan, The Earp family move into tombstone after all retiring from being peacemakers to make their fortunes, whilst there they met old friend Doc Holliday who has moved out east hoping the warm dry climate will ease his TB.

The brothers soon get a share in a local saloon where they have their first encounter with a notorious gang of bandits known as the "cowboys" who know the Earp's reputation and especially Wyatt's and don't want him interfering in their business, this also leads to a confrontation between the loose cannon of the "cowboys" Johnny Ringo and Doc.

As tension start to rise the leader of the Cowboys needlessly kills the town sheriff and the gang try to intimidate the Earp's and Doc, unable to stand anymore lawlessness Virgil feels the need to become town Sheriff and even though Wyatt disagrees he eventually backs his brother and this gradually leads to the gunfight and the aftermath in which Morgan is killed.

They trick the Cowboys into thinking they have won by pretending to leave town which is a ruse to gain revenge against them, and also gets their wives to safety and which leads to one of the best quotes in film history "From now on I see a red sash, I kill the man wearing it. So run you cur. And tell the other curs the law is coming. You tell 'em I'm coming! And Hell's coming with me you hear! Hell's coming with me!"

So what happens next is plenty of epic gunfights and revenge by the bucketful.

I feel that the secondary plot with developing romance between Wyatt Earp and Josephine Marcus was unneeded however this doesn't detract from the films main story.

All the roles in the film are excellently acted well performed and the film in my opinion is very overlooked.



No comments:

Post a Comment